Show Review: Metallica Live In Birmingham, England !

Metallica is having one hell of a world tour currently hitting.. well the world, a little while back the band was crossing by the lands of England, where a friend got the chance to attend one hell of a night of thrashing Metallica (and the new stuff also :P) the band also premiered "My Apocalypse" as part of their live set for the first time at the LG Arena in Birmingham. well without further to do, I'd like to welcome and thank Fetait for his first time contribution to the blog.


Reviewed By: Fetait

Location: Birmingham, England
Venue: LG Arena
Date: March 25th, 2009


Before attempting to read the following review I thought I should warn you as a reader that whoever wrote this review had a pleasure writing his first proper review on a concert performed by such a legendary band – Metallica. Yes! A Portsaidi citizen (That’s like an Egyptian redneck or something, for those of you who don’t know) who has lived all his life in the Gulf witnessed Metallica live! That was simply a feeling similar to taking a cruise on an airplane for the fun of it, finding a thousand bucks under your bed, or meeting your childhood best friend on Mars – things that make u go : huh… WOW!

On a serious note, we can kick off by describing how the show started. There were 2 opening bands, one of which was the awesome Machine Head, but because I am a looser, I came late and missed the first band (The Sword). Machine head performed pretty well (they were a bit too heavy for my brains though), but let’s stick to the main topic for a while – Metallica. An expected Intro: the Ecstasy of Gold. It was still pretty awesome even though I’m used to loving it without the S&M symphonies. I can’t think of any better way to start their show. A good way of transition was by playing a song that starts off slowly at the beginning but then hits you with all the thrash stuff you came for: That Was Just Your Life! Yes, a very good start, in terms of making people happy by playing a new song from Death Magnetic, and by the introduction of the “heart beats” as a smooth way to get in business. After that, my personal favorite from the latest album was played: End of the Line. It’s my current ring tone, and I am used to hearing it quite a few times everyday, so I simply had fun sharing my ringing tone with the whole crowd! Kept on getting a feeling that my dad is calling though!!




“We realized that what goes well with the new stuff is the… OLD STUFF”- James Hetfield. To be honest, as long as “Sad But True” was played, I am happy. It was one of the few songs that got me into metal to begin with, so it has a special place in my brain... I mean heart… Umm, good days! Master of Puppets... how could this get any better? It was awesome!! I can’t really say that it’s like no other show because I’ve never been to any other Metallica show, but now I get what the fuss is all about! :D One of the surprises came in action when they played “One”. I am sure you know that airplanes and war sound at the beginning of the song… yea, they played that... but with fire effects, that was really well performed. Fire synchronized with the war sound effects, and after these few minutes, James comes out of nowhere and the song kicks off. One of the things you don’t see on TV everyday is a solo performance by Kirk. A huge dark hall, with only one dude with all the lights on him, challenging himself with his awesome solo. Want to hear another shock? Nothing Else Matters. Yes, a long Kirk solo followed by Nothing Else Matters! (Although it wasn’t as awesome as the original record). Maybe he’s just getting old you know. Have you noticed the white hair in the Guitar Hero Metallica Tv ads? Haha, yeah…

Ironically, I cant remember the last song they played :(. Maybe I was just knocked off! I can remember how the show ended though. Loads of huge black balloons bearing the Metallica logo coming out of no where from the roof!! Have you seen the video for Broken, Beat and Scarred? Yeah, I think bits of that video were captured from the Birmingham show, or maybe another arena that looked exactly like it! Back to the balloons, I really wished I got my hands on one! Looking at the bright side, I got a Metallica t-shirt for half price at the end of the show (that didn’t fit my size, I need to hit the gym soon to start showing off with the t shirt!). Why does the merch always run out? :D


I'd like to thank Fetait for his awesome review for this very awesome show by METALLICA!!!

SETLIST
That Was Just Your Life
The End Of The Line
Creeping Death
Ride The Lightning
One
Broken, Beat And Scarred
My Apocalypse (world live premiere)
Sad But True
Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
The Judas Kiss
The Day That Never Comes
Master Of Puppets
Blackened
Nothing Else Matters
Enter Sandman
**********

Hole In The Sky (Black Sabbath)
TMR side note: the song was dedicated to Tommy Iommi who was in attendance, it doesnt get more metal than that !

Here's a short clip from the show where they dedicate the song to Tommy "The Godfather Of The Riff" Iommi (sound is distorted a bit much :P)



Well just incase:


on with the Set List:
The Prince (Diamond Head)
Seek & Destroy

Last but certainly not least the video for the live world premiere of "My Apocalypse" (Copyrights: Metallica.com 2009)


0 comments:

Post a Comment