DevilDriver – Pray For Villains Review

No one can ever get enough of devil drivers pure raw riffage mad ass drums and Dez screaming his lungs out. Let’s get to the point, pray for villains is one hell of a release I can’t deny it, I listened to every track on the record over and over again so that when I tell you its not them you cant attack me.

They are taking a totally new approach (aka the Shogun Breed) that drifts miles away from what they started.
I’m not saying its not good or its not amazing or its not totally fucking brutal, Its brutal beyond your imagination but like I said comparing it to DevilDriver (2003) and The Fury Of Our Makers Hand (2005) its gutturally different. The thing that sucked me in the most was the drumming. There drummer stepped it up big time ,every track has a perfect drum line layered on it and recorded in uber quality. I cant say enough about the drums in this recorded It needs a blog of its own.


Was listening to a track with Iroar and at some point of the song Iroar was like are you sure this is devil driver not trivium. They are taking the whole ultra melodic approach with a bit of thrashy kick ass riffs. Personally I love the recorded but I expected more from everyone in the band except for the drummer, he went beyond my expectations. My personal favorite is Back With A Vengeance you’ll be banging your head till your die and probably disco dancing to it to.


Crap I almost forgot did you guys hear DevilDrivers lead guitarist bought a new Wah Wah pedal and hes annoyingly using it in ever track on the record. If you’re a fan of there old shit your going to be a abit disappointed and at the same time your going to worship the record. For new devil driver listeners you’re going to get knocked out. Dez is still doing his thing on every track, I noticed he’s been trying to experiment a little but not to much, on the other hand I got a wah wah overdose.

Devil Driver are still doing there thing but in a different way ( Shougany way) id give them a 7.7/10

But if i am to compare it to there old stuff id give it a 3/10


Check out the single ;



9 comments:

Great review bro !

Curses to the shogun tribe :P !!!

June 18, 2009 at 1:12 AM comment-delete

I'm loving it... The new approach isn't as sucky as you're trying to show... I mean you can't compare it to the old Devildriver albums, although you can compare it to "The Last Kind Words", which you didn't mention and which kicked major ass...

It's a new style but it's still Devildriver because let's face it, if they keep doing the same shit over and over fans are gonna get bored... and remember how critics received "Devildriver" their first album, I think that no one liked it but me and you, and personally I think it was awesome. But so far, the most ass kickery too place in "The Fury of Our Maker's Hand"... this album was absolute Devildriver perfection!

I give "Pray for Villans" an 8.5/10 even if I compare it to the old Devildriver.

-Moey

June 18, 2009 at 5:01 AM comment-delete

"I’m not saying its not good or its not amazing or its not totally fucking brutal, Its brutal beyond your imagination" I never said it was bad i personally love this record to dude but some people are going to like it some wont. One way or another its devil driver :)

June 18, 2009 at 8:23 AM comment-delete

Always happens when band's decide to experiment or do something new =)

June 18, 2009 at 2:32 PM comment-delete

Yea but in DevilDriver's case it's not about "experimenting" or "doing something new" its about fitting in with the trend...

June 19, 2009 at 7:03 AM comment-delete

(shogun Breed)

June 19, 2009 at 2:52 PM comment-delete

I have always love DevilDriver and while I am enjoying the new album and I do respect their attempt at evolving, I feel that they have failed. Dez's vocals are top notch, as always, and the drumming is the constant high point of every DD album? The drummer is so diversely talented that he would fit nicely in with either Meshuggah, Morbid Angel, Mastodon, or Tool. To be honest though, after listening to Pray for Villains repeatedly for a week now, I find myself skipping to the more traditional sounding DD songs. Pray for Villains feels like half of a very solide DD album that is weakened by the other half of the album being mashed together with a mix of sleezy thrash metal from the early 80's. While sleezy thrash metal is not always a bad thing, for DD it can be, when they already have a perfect mix between shear fucking heaviness and subtle melodic undertones. If DD wanted to evolve, they should have went the prog route. 7/10

June 21, 2009 at 1:08 AM comment-delete

I have always love DevilDriver and while I am enjoying the new album and I do respect their attempt at evolving, I feel that they have failed. Dez's vocals are top notch, as always, and the drumming is the constant high point of every DD album? The drummer is so diversely talented that he would fit nicely in with either Meshuggah, Morbid Angel, Mastodon, or Tool. To be honest though, after listening to Pray for Villains repeatedly for a week now, I find myself skipping to the more traditional sounding DD songs. Pray for Villains feels like half of a very solide DD album that is weakened by the other half of the album being mashed together with a mix of sleezy thrash metal from the early 80's. While sleezy thrash metal is not always a bad thing, for DD it can be, when they already have a perfect mix between shear fucking heaviness and subtle melodic undertones. If DD wanted to evolve, they should have went the prog route. 7/10

November 27, 2010 at 3:17 AM comment-delete

Great review bro !

Curses to the shogun tribe :P !!!

November 27, 2010 at 3:17 AM comment-delete

Post a Comment