"A Word" With Antony Hamalainen from Nightrage !

Nigthrage wrapped up work on their latest studio album "Wearing A Martyr's Crown" out on June 22nd, mark your calenders because you'll be in for a classic "Gothenburg Metal" ride with the Nightrage signature twist. The album will straight up beat the living shit out of you with its brutality! (I'll save all my praise for the album review, which will follow this post)
I got the chance to have "a word" with the band's new front man Antony Hamalainen who is always beyond human awesomeness, about the band's upcoming album, the lyrical themes, the recording process at Studio Fredman, and also Antony answered some of your questions about beating up Hollywoord celebrities, Emo chicks, also he teaches us a couple of curse words in Finnish, and alot more:
Here's how it went:

TMR: First of all I'd like to say that "Wearing A Martyr's Crown" is one hell of a kick ass release, are you happy with the final result ?
Antony: Well thanks so much dude! So far for me the album is still really fresh and it's the best thing from Gothenburg I've heard since the last DT album. This album has everything I could ever want in a record from Nightrage.
TMR: Can you tell me a little about the lyrical theme behind the album ?
Antony: Marios and I did the all the lyrics together. And our themes lay mostly on the personal side. Subjects people can relate to. Pain, depression, ego, and martyrdom.
TMR: You guys recorded the album, at the legendary Studio Fredman, how was the experience working in Melodic Death Metal's finest studio ?
Antony: For me it was just an amazing dream come true. Fredrik is a killer guy to work with and very funny. I share a lot of the same asshole humor he does.
TMR: How long was the recording process ?
Antony: It was less then a month. It was very fast because we had pre-produced every single song to the fullest.

TMR: "Wearing A Martyr's Crown" sounds more in the same direction as the first 2 Nightrage albums, did you guys intend to pick up the sound you had on the first 2 releases ?
Antony: Vocally I just did what comes natural for me. I wrote about 90-95% of the vocal lines, melodies, and phrasings for the vocals. The other 5-10% goes to Olof and the production work he did. It just came out like that. And we knew it would from the demo stage as well. We never sit down and say "hey lets do an album like this" yah know? It's more or less the feeling Olof and Marios have when they are writing the music. Then I hear the song and do what I feel best suites the song vocally.
TMR: How would you describe "Wearing A Martyr's Crown" ?
Antony: Heavy, melodic, and no compromise.
TMR: Do you guys plan on shooting a video for a song off the album? if so, did you decide on which song would be featured ?
Antony: Yes we have an idea for one. Everything is pretty much planned out for it and if it happens it'll be a monster!
TMR: The album has alot of energy which will obviously blow up live, which song(s) are you looking forward to the most to perform live?
Antony: Failure, Shed, Wearing, and Among. These are my top four at the moment.
TMR: What do you guys have cooking up for the album, Tour-wise ?
Antony: We want to tour everywhere in the world we can. Just depends if people buy the album. If they do we will tour a lot, if they don't then we won't! (laughs)
TMR sidenote: because Antony is such a chill dude, he even answered some of your questions about James Hetfield, Dave Mustaine, and more:

TMR: How do you say, "Fuck Shit Up" in Finnish, and also what's a good cuss word in Finnish ?
Antony: I guess it would be "Vittu tätä paskaa". It doesn't translate well into english though (laughs). A good curse is just "Perkele" for me. I say it all the time.
TMR: Do you think Emo chicks are hott ?
Antony: What the fuck is emo?
TMR: If you had the chance to kick a Hollywood celebrity in the balls, who would it be ?
Antony: I wouldn't give any of them the time of day. The sooner these type of people die the better.
TMR: In a fight between James Hetfield and Dave Mustaine, who would you back up ?
Antony: It's a very tough one I love both bands the same. But I'll take Hetfield's side. He's funnier then Dave.
TMR: If you where stranded on an island, whats 3 things you'd need with you to survive ?
Antony: ipod, laptop, and a plane
TMR: Antony once again I'd like to thank you for being one of the awesomest people to have a word with, and for totally bringing back the missing link into the Nightrage sound, would you like to add anything for your fans out there ?
Antony: Once again thanks so much man for all your support with the band. It means a lot to us. Hope to see everyone on tour and thanks to all of you who will buy the album.
June 22nd (Europe, and Japan) August 4th (US) are the dates that "Wearing A Martyr's Crown" will hit the world, and crush you to the ground. (Get your ass ready to pick up a Gothenburg CLASSIC!)
Visit Nightrage on Myspace to get your first taste of the album, the band posted the song "Shed The Blood" which will give you a perfect example of how brutally melodic this release will be.










0 comments:
Post a Comment